Granada High School


Frequently asked Questions

Are athletes encouraged to play more than one sport?
The Department of Athletics encourages all athletes to be as involved as their schedule allows, and, yes, we encourage athletes to play on as many Granada HS teams as they can.  Our coaches are willing to meet with athletes that are interested in playing two or three sports and help an athlete plan his/her time effectively so that he/she can maximize his/her high school athletic experience.


How do I register for a sport?
Visit Click on the "Athletic Registration Form" tab.  Complete the registration form for the corresponding season.  Turn in the completed registration form to the athletic director's office.  A current physical must also be on file.


Do I have to register my student for each sport they want to try-out for?
Students are encouraged to do multiple sports at Granada High School.  However, you must register for each sport for each season.


Do I need a physical exam to play sports?
Yes, you need to have a physical form on file in the Department of Athletics before you can try-out for a sport.  Physical forms are available in the Department of Athletics or visit the GHS Website and click on the following set of tabs:  Student Life - Athletics – Sports Information - Physical Form


Does my child need a physical every year?
Every student participating in sports for Granada HS needs a completed physical release form EACH YEAR.  If you have one in the summer, then it is good for the entire school year.  If you have one during the school year, it expires on that day, and a new one must be completed.


Can I have a chiropractor perform my physical?

No.  A physical must be performed by a Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), Physician Assistant (PA), or a Nurse Practitioner (NP).


Can I still play with my club team during the school year?
Yes you can, but there are some restrictions placed on all high school athletes by the California Interscholastic Federation. First, you may not play on a club team in a particular sport during that sports high school season. (For example, you cannot play club soccer once the high school soccer season starts.)


Is there any type of pre-season conditioning?
Most sports offer some kind of pre-season conditioning once school starts.  This conditioning may be limited to returning players in a particular sport due to facility limitations.  Contact the head coach of a particular sport for more specific information.  If you cannot reach the head coach, feel free to contact the Department of Athletics.


Are their cuts for teams at Granada High School?
Most teams at Granada High School conduct try-outs for the purpose of selecting the members of athletic teams.  At the conclusion of the try-outs, there are often athletes that cannot be offered a spot on a particular team.  Cutting athletes on a particular team is difficult for coaches, families, and athletes.  Parents and athletes are encouraged to talk with coaches about the try-out process for a particular sport.

Who is the Athletic Director at Granada High School?
Clark Conover is the Athletic Director at Granada High School.  He can be reached at
David Moore is the Assistant Athletic Director at Granada High School.  She can be reached at


How does my student qualify for NCS scholar athlete status?

NCS scholar athlete status is earned when a student-athlete achieves a 3.5 or higher GPA (unweighted).

A team may earn distinguished scholastic team status if the overall GPA (unweighted) is 3.0 or higher. 

The following table demonstrates which grading period is used in this determination.


Certificates for these honors are presented during Granada High School academic celebration.  Students are able to purchase scholastic patches from the NCS office.